Green House Gases
A greenhouse gas is any gaseous compound in the atmosphere that is capable of absorbing infrared radiation, thereby trapping and holding heat in the atmosphere.
To understand Global Warming, we should learn a bit more about Greenhouse gases. The Earth receives solar radiation in the form of short waves. 30% of the radiation is immediately reflected back into the space by clouds and Ice, and the rest 70% is absorbed by the surface of the Earth. The Earth becomes warm in this process, and starts radiating heat into the atmosphere. Here is when the Greenhouse gases intervene.
Greenhouse gases such as water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, Ozone and CFCs absorb some of the radiation and stop it from escaping into the space. In this process Earth is prevented from cooling rapidly to sub‐zero temperatures.
Scientists have observed that temperatures on Earth are increasing steadily due to man made as well as natural causes. Since industrial revolution, big factories and automobiles have been releasing carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide into the atmosphere in large quantities. These gases are lodged into the atmosphere for years which trap the heat from escaping Earth's atmosphere.
Most scientists agree that Global Warming in recent decades has been caused by the release of Greenhouse gases by the burning of fossil fuels, land clearing and agriculture. Global Warming has caused many problems to the ecosystems and to the habitats on earth.