After completing the topic, the student will be able to:
- List alkali metals and alkaline earth metals, write their electronic configurations.
- Explain the physical and chemical properties of alkali and alkaline earth metals.
- Discuss the exceptions in general periodic trends in s–block elements.
- Describe the preparation methods, general characteristics of compounds of sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium; and give their uses
- Recognize the biological significance of sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium.