After completing the topic, the student will be able to:
- Define the terms acid, base, amphoteric substance and salt.
- Classify the substances into acids, bases, amphoteric substances and salts.
- Differentiate the properties of acids and bases.
- Appreciate the various theories developed to describe acid base behavior of substances.
- Define pH and express the strength of an acid or base on pH scale.
- Understand the phenomenon of salt hydrolysis and know the significance of buffers.
- Know the procedure involved in acid–base titrations, solve the problems based on acid–base titrations.
- Plot and describe the titration curves.
- Know the principle involved in using the indicators in acid – base titrations. Discuss the application of acids and bases.